Requirement Description


College coursework is study taken for college credit, completed at or transferred to a degree-granting institution of higher education approved by the New York State Commissioner of Education or a regional accrediting agency. Coursework must be offered for degree credit by the college, whether or not you obtain the degree.

Pedagogical coursework must be earned at an institution of higher education with an approved teacher education program that leads to teacher certification in the state in which the college is located, or a community college with an articulation agreement with such an institution (contact your college).

Unacceptable coursework is that which is not credit-bearing or not applicable toward a degree. Examples of unacceptable coursework: professional development courses, continuing education courses, often measured in Continuing Education Units (CEUs), audited courses, and courses that have been waived or for advanced placement (such as high school courses) without credit toward a degree.

See Acceptable Colleges

Acceptable Grades

Semester Hour Equivalents

Methods of teaching refers to the means or strategies which a teacher uses to help students learn. At least one course of the required 6 semester hours of study should be in the methods of teaching reading, writing, speaking and understanding English to children and adolescents for whom English is not their first language. Study in teaching English to such students through the use of “subject area” or “content area” instruction in mathematics, the sciences and the social studies, is also acceptable for this requirement.

Study must be taken for college credit at an accredited college offering a program registered as leading to the extension certificate for bilingual education or to certification to teach English to Speakers of Other Languages. A grade of at least C (if undergraduate credit is awarded) or B- (if graduate credit is awarded) is needed. For a list of such colleges in New York State, go to .