The LAST is one component of the New York State teacher examination series. It consists of multiple-choice questions and a written assignment. The test assesses knowledge and skills in five areas:
- scientific, mathematical, and technological processes
- historical and social scientific awareness
- artistic expression and the humanities
- communication and research skills
- written analysis and expression
Applicants who already hold a valid New York State classroom teaching certificate (other than career and technical) are not required to take the LAST when applying for an additional certificate.
For more information about the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations, including online test registration, study guides, testing schedules, and more, go to www.nystce.nesinc.com.