Continuing Your Application
Only applicants with Social Security Numbers have the option to save the application progress and complete it within 30 days. If you have a Social Security Number and have started an application within the past 30 days, and have not yet completed it, you can use this link to continue your application. You will need your Application ID, Social Security Number, and Date of Birth. Your Application ID can be found in the email that was sent to you from the Office of the Professions.
Upload Additional Documentation
If you have already completed an application, but you have additional documents or files to include in your previous submission, use this link to upload additional documentation. You will need your Application ID and Date of Birth.
You must complete this online application and pay the applicable fee to begin the licensure process. The $371 fee includes the application fee ($175) plus the fee for your first three-year registration period ($196). Application fees are not refundable. Payment is only accepted by MasterCard, Visa, or American Express.
Before You Begin
Review the requirements, and the Frequently Asked Questions for licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist. An application checklist is also available as a reminder of what forms you need to file. Please take a moment to review the list of necessary information you will need to complete this initial application form. Failure to complete all required parts of the application and submit all required documentation will delay its review.
- Contact Information (mailing & email addresses and phone number(s)).
- Your name on your application must match the name on your photo ID.
- High school and college educational history (locations and attendance dates).
- Professional licensure in New York or another jurisdiction (profession, date of licensure and license number).
- If you did not complete the New York Child Abuse Identification and Reporting course work in your NYS registered program, you must submit a certificate of completion or exemption request.
- Information about any criminal (misdemeanor or felony) or professional disciplinary action. You will have the opportunity to upload relevant documents.
- You are responsible for having all required documentation submitted for review and approval by the Department.
You may not practice marriage and family therapy in New York except with a limited permit issued by the Department. Neither licensure in another jurisdiction nor national certification substitute for authorization by the Department.
If you have been licensed as a LMFT in another U.S. jurisdiction and practiced marriage and family therapy for at least 5 of the 10 years prior to application in New York, you may qualify for endorsement. You must meet all requirements listed on our website, including verification of licensed practice in the other jurisdiction and pass the AMFTRB examination.
If you require assistance with the online application, submit a ticket to Online Services Technical Assistance.
Receipt for Application
Once NYSED has received this initial application form and payment electronically, you will receive an email indicating that payment has been received. Please retain this email notification as your proof of payment.