This is an application for a New York State Clinical Nurse Specialist Certificate. To begin your new application, click on the 'Begin Application' button below.
This is the application and fee for the New York State Clinical Nurse Specialist certificate. The $80 fee includes the application fee ($50) plus the fee for your first registration ($30). Application fees are not refundable; it is your responsibility to be aware of the requirements for licensure and be sure that you wish to apply.
Before You Begin
Information Needed for Application
- Your contact information (i.e., mail, email addresses and phone numbers).
- Your education credentials (i.e., name and address of colleges attended, degrees).
- Your professional license credentials (i.e., your RN license and license number).
- Clinical Nurse Specialist certifications issued to you by a National Certifying Organization.
- Payment information. You must pay a statutory $80 fee by credit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).
- To save and return to this application, you must have a Social Security Number.
If you require assistance with the online application, please email OPOnlineApplications@nysed.gov.
Receipt of Application
After NYSED receives your application and payment electronically, NYSED will email you a receipt. Keep this receipt! It is your proof of payment.
You must first be a certified New York Registered Professional Nurse to be licensed as a New York Clinical Nurse Specialist. Your application for an Certified Nurse Specialist certificate will be reviewed only after you have qualified for a New York RN license and then all records relating to your Certified Nurse Specialist application have been received. Please allow several weeks to process this application.
Continuing Your Application
Only applicants with Social Security Numbers have the option to save the application progress and complete it within 30 days. If you have a Social Security Number and have started an application within the past 30 days, and have not yet completed it, you can use this link to continue your application. You will need your Application ID, Social Security Number, and Date of Birth. Your Application ID can be found in the email that was sent to you from the Office of the Professions.
Upload Additional Documentation
If you have already completed an application, but you have additional documents or files to include in your previous submission, use this link to upload additional documentation. You will need your Application ID and Date of Birth.
You must complete this online application and pay the applicable fee to begin the licensure process. The $143 fee includes the application fee ($70) plus the fee for your first three-year registration period ($73). Application fees are not refundable. Payment is only accepted by MasterCard, Visa, or American Express.
Before You Begin
Review the requirements, Frequently Asked Questions, and the list of additional necessary forms that you will be required to complete for licensure as a Registered Nurse. Please take a moment to review the list of necessary information you will need to complete this initial application form. Failure to complete all required parts of the application will delay its review.
Contact Information (mailing & email addresses and phone number(s)).
Your name in this application must exactly match the name on your photo identification and the name listed on your NCLEX registration.
If you hold other professional licenses, you will need to enter the license name, number, issue date and jurisdiction.
You are responsible for having all required documentation submitted for review and approval by the Department.
Information about any criminal (misdemeanor or felony) or professional disciplinary action. You will have the opportunity to upload relevant documents.
Your application file will not be reviewed until all required documentation has been received.
You will have the opportunity to submit electronic records with this application or mail them to this office.
- If you have a disciplinary or criminal history - submit related records.
- If you are not a US citizen - submit documentation related to citizenship or immigration status.
- If you were educated outside of the US - submit copy of nursing diploma.
- If you did not complete Infection Control training as part of a NYS nursing school curriculum - submit certificate of completion or exemption request.
- If you did not complete Child Abuse Identification and Reporting coursework as part of a NYS nursing school curriculum - submit certificate of completion or exemption request.
If you require assistance with the online application, submit a ticket to Online Services Technical Assistance.
Receipt for Application
Once NYSED has received this initial application form and payment electronically, you will receive an email indicating that payment has been received. Please retain this email notification as your proof of payment.