Continuing Your Application
Only applicants with Social Security Numbers have the option to save the application progress and complete it within 30 days. If you have a Social Security Number and have started an application within the past 30 days, and have not yet completed it, you can use this link to continue your application. You will need your Application ID, Social Security Number, and Date of Birth. Your Application ID can be found in the email that was sent to you from the Office of the Professions.
Upload Additional Documentation
If you have already completed an application, but you have additional documents or files to include in your previous submission, use this link to upload additional documentation. You will need your Application ID and Date of Birth.
You must complete this online application and pay the applicable fee to begin the licensure process. The $108 fee includes the application fee ($50) plus the fee for your first three-year registration period ($58). Application fees are not refundable. Payment is only accepted by MasterCard, Visa, or American Express.
Before You Begin
Review the requirements, Questions & Answers, and the required forms that you will be required to complete for licensure as a Massage Therapist. Please take a moment to review the list of necessary information you will need to complete the application process. Failure to complete all required parts of the application and submit all required documentation will delay its review.
- Contact Information (mailing & email addresses and phone number(s)).
- Your name on your application must match the name on your photo ID.
- High school and massage therapy educational history (locations and attendance dates).
- Professional licensure in New York or another jurisdiction (profession, date of licensure and license number).
- Documentation of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) within three (3) years prior to New York State licensure.
- Information about any criminal (misdemeanor or felony) or professional disciplinary action. You will have the opportunity to upload relevant documents.
- You are responsible for having all required documentation submitted for review and approval by the Department.
Licensure by Endorsement
Review the additional requirements for applicants who seek licensure by endorsement.
- Massage therapy license in good standing in another state, country, or territory in which you have practiced massage therapy for at least two years within the last 10 years.
- Passing score report from either:
- the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB) for the National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCETMB) prior to February 1, 2015; or
- the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) for the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx); or
- an examination used for licensure by the state, country, or territory in which you have been licensed. If you took an examination other than the NCETMB or MBLEx that was required for licensure in the jurisdiction where you were licensed, request that jurisdiction to send a copy of the examination to this Department in a secure manner and it will be returned to the jurisdiction following review.
- NOTE: Some jurisdictions will not provide information on the basis of licensure without written consent from the applicant. Please provide consent to the Board(s) in the jurisdiction(s) where you hold a massage therapy license to release examination information to the New York State Board for Massage Therapy. The release should include the name of the examination that you passed to be licensed in that state.
If you require assistance with the online application, submit a ticket to Online Services Technical Assistance.
Receipt for Application
Once NYSED has received this initial application form and payment electronically, you will receive an email indicating that payment has been received. Please retain this email notification as your proof of payment.