You must complete this form and submit it with the appropriate licensure and initial registration fee ($108) directly to the Office of the Professions to apply for licensure in NYS. You must answer all questions and provide all information requested unless otherwise indicated. Failure to complete all required parts of the application will delay its review.
Before you begin the application, you should review the requirements for licensure as a Massage Therapist at http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/mt/mtlic.htm and Questions & Answers at http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/mt/mtquesans.htm. Please take a moment to review the list of necessary information you will need to complete the application process.
- Contact Information (mailing & email addresses and phone number(s)).
- Information about any criminal (misdemeanor or felony) or professional disciplinary action. You will have the opportunity to upload relevant documents.
- Your name on your application must match the name on your photo ID.
- High school and massage therapy educational history (locations and attendance dates).
- Professional licensure in New York or another jurisdiction (profession, date of licensure and license number).
- Documentation of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) within three (3) years prior to New York State licensure.
- Payment information ($108 payment is only accepted by MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).
- Please be advised that if you do not enter a Social Security Number when prompted, the application cannot be saved for later entry.
Additional requirements for applicants who seek licensure by endorsement:
- Massage therapy license in good standing in another state, country or territory in which you have practiced massage therapy for at least two years within the last 10 years.
- Passing score report from either:
- the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB) for the National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCETMB) prior to February 1, 2015; or
- the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) for the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx); or
- an examination used for licensure by the state, country or territory in which you have been licensed. If you took an examination other than the NCETMB or MBLEx that was required for licensure in the jurisdiction where you were licensed, request that jurisdiction to send a copy of the examination to this Department in a secure manner and it will be returned to the jurisdiction following review.
- NOTE: Some jurisdictions will not provide information on the basis of licensure without written consent from the applicant. Please provide consent to the Board(s) in the jurisdiction(s) where you hold a massage therapy license to release examination information to the New York State Board for Massage Therapy. The release should include the name of the examination that you passed in order to be licensed in that state.
If you require assistance with the online application, please email OPOnlineApplications@nysed.gov. Application fees are not refundable; it is your responsibility to know the requirements for licensure.
This is the application and fee for licensure as a Massage Therapist. You must also meet requirements for education and examination. You are responsible for having all other documentation submitted by postal mail for review and approval by the Department.