All applicants for licensure in Dentistry must document preprofessional education of 60 U.S. semester credits, or the equivalent postsecondary study as determined by the Department, including courses in general chemistry, organic chemistry, biology or zoology, and physics. They must also document a professional education of either:
- an acceptable dental program of at least four academic years in length, that is registered by the Department or accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) as a DDS/DMD education program;
- both an acceptable dental program of at least four academic years in length, culminating in a degree in dentistry that is recognized as leading to professional dentistry practice by the appropriate civil authorities of that country AND an advanced education of not less than two academic years of study satisfactory to the Department in an acceptable dental school program including certification by the DDS/DMD chair that the candidate has achieved the level of knowledge and clinical proficiency expected of a graduate of the school. Completion of a CODA-accredited two-year Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD) would fulfill the advanced education requirement.
In addition to the education required for licensure, you will need to document completion of an accredited residency acceptable to the Department of at least one year in length. You will also need to document successful completion of the National Board Dental Examination (NBDE). By submitting an application for licensure, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the licensure requirements: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/dent/dentlic.htm.
This is the application and fee for licensure as a Dentist. You must complete this online application and pay the applicable fee to begin the licensure process. The $377 fee includes the application fee ($135) plus the fee for your first three-year registration period ($242). Application fees are not refundable; it is your responsibility to be aware of the requirements for licensure and be sure that you wish to apply.
Before You Begin
Information Needed for Application
- Educational history, including degrees, locations and dates.
- Contact Information, including mail & email addresses and phone number(s).
- Information about any criminal (misdemeanor or felony) or professional disciplinary action. You will have the opportunity to upload relevant documents.
- Professional licensure, including details about any other professional licenses held.
- Payment information ($377 payment is only accepted by MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).
- To save and return to the application you must have a Social Security Number.
If you require assistance with the online application, please email OPOnlineApplications@nysed.gov. Application fees are not refundable; it is your responsibility to be aware of the requirements for licensure and be sure that you wish to apply. This is the application and fee for licensure as a Dentist. You are responsible for having all required documentation submitted for review and approval by the Department.
Receipt for Application
Once NYSED has received this initial application form and payment electronically, you will receive an email indicating the document and payment have been received. Please retain this email notification as your proof of payment.