Continuing Your Application
Only applicants with Social Security Numbers have the option to save the application progress and complete it within 30 days. If you have a Social Security Number and have started an application within the past 30 days, and have not yet completed it, you can use this link to continue your application. You will need your Application ID, Social Security Number, and Date of Birth. Your Application ID can be found in the email that was sent to you from the Office of the Professions.
Upload Additional Documentation
If you have already completed an application, but you have additional documents or files to include in your previous submission, use this link to upload additional documentation. You will need your Application ID and Date of Birth. Your Application ID can be found in the email sent to you from the Office of the Professions.
You must complete this online application and pay the applicable fee to begin the licensure process. The $377 fee includes the application fee ($135) plus the fee for your first three-year registration period ($242). Application fees are not refundable. Payment is only accepted by MasterCard, Visa, or American Express.
All applicants for licensure in Dentistry must document preprofessional education of 60 U.S. semester credits, or the equivalent postsecondary study as determined by the Department, including courses in general chemistry, organic chemistry, biology or zoology, and physics. They must also document a professional education of either:
- an acceptable dental program of at least four academic years in length, that is registered by the Department or accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) as a DDS/DMD education program;
- both an acceptable dental program of at least four academic years in length, culminating in a degree in dentistry that is recognized as leading to professional dentistry practice by the appropriate civil authorities of that country AND an advanced education of not less than two academic years of study satisfactory to the Department in an acceptable dental school program including certification by the DDS/DMD chair that the candidate has achieved the level of knowledge and clinical proficiency expected of a graduate of the school. Completion of a CODA-accredited two-year Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD) would fulfill the advanced education requirement.
In addition to the education required for licensure, you will need to document completion of an accredited residency acceptable to the Department of at least one year in length. You will also need to document successful completion of the National Board Dental Examination (NBDE). By applying for licensure, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the licensure requirements.
Before You Begin
Review the requirements, laws, rules, regulations, and the list of additional necessary forms that you will be required to complete for licensure as a Dentist. Please take a moment to review the list of necessary information you will need to complete the application process. Failure to complete all required parts of the application and submit all required documentation will delay its review.
- Contact Information, including mail & email addresses and phone number(s).
- Your name on your application must match the name on your photo ID.
- Educational history, including degrees, locations, and dates.
- Information about any criminal (misdemeanor or felony) or professional disciplinary action. You will have the opportunity to upload relevant documents.
- Professional licensure, including details about any other professional licenses held.
- You are responsible for having all required documentation submitted for review and approval by the Department.
If you require assistance with the online application, submit a ticket to Online Services Technical Assistance.
Receipt for Application
Once NYSED has received this initial application form and payment electronically, you will receive an email indicating that payment has been received. Please retain this email notification as your proof of payment.