Please note that all applicants for Optometry licensure must document an acceptable education, including:
- not less than 60 US semester credits, or the equivalent as determined by the Department, of preprofessional college/university study, with courses in general chemistry, organic chemistry, biology or zoology, and physics; and
- a professional program in optometry, leading to the degree of Doctor of Optometry (O.D.), or the equivalent as determined by the Department. Such a program must be either registered by the Department as licensure-qualifying, or accredited by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE). Foreign and/or non-accredited Doctor of Optometry (O.D.) programs may be acceptable, as determined by a comparative education evaluation conducted by the Department. In determining the substantial equivalence of foreign O.D. programs, the Department also looks for sufficient coverage of specific curricular content.
Please note that programs/degrees in ophthalmology are not acceptable. In New York State, licensed physicians can practice in the medical specialty of ophthalmology, but this medical specialization does not meet the requirements for the independent licensed profession of Optometry. If your degree/specialization is in ophthalmology, you may wish to apply for NYS Physician licensure instead. Physician licensure requirements can be viewed on our website at: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/med/medlic.htm.
Application fees are not refundable; it is your responsibility to be aware of the requirements for licensure and be sure that you wish to apply.
Before You Begin
Information Needed For Application
- Contact Information, including mail & email addresses and phone number(s).
- Educational history, including degrees, locations and dates.
- Examination dates for NBEO and NERCOATS.
- Certificate of Completion for Child Abuse Identification Reporting can be uploaded with this application.
- Certificate of Completion for Infection Control and Barrier Precautions can be uploaded with this application.
- Professional licensure, including details about any other professional licenses held.
- Information about any criminal (misdemeanor or felony) or professional disciplinary action. You will have the opportunity to upload relevant documents.
- Payment information (payment is only accepted by MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).
If you require assistance with the online application, please email OPOnlineApplications@nysed.gov.
Receipt For Application
Once NYSED has received this initial application form and payment electronically, you will receive an email indicating the document and payment have been received. Please retain this email notification as your proof of payment.