Continuing Your Application
Only applicants with Social Security Numbers have the option to save the application progress and complete it within 30 days. If you have a Social Security Number and have started an application within the past 30 days, and have not yet completed it, you can use this link to continue your application. You will need your Application ID, Social Security Number, and Date of Birth. Your Application ID can be found in the email that was sent to you from the Office of the Professions.
Upload Additional Documentation
If you have already completed an application, but you have additional documents or files to include in your previous submission, use this link to upload additional documentation. You will need your Application ID and Date of Birth.
You must complete this online application and pay the applicable fee to begin the licensure process. The $377 fee includes the application fee ($135) plus the fee for your first three-year registration period ($242). Application fees are not refundable. Payment is only accepted by MasterCard, Visa, or American Express.
Please note that all applicants for Optometry licensure must document an acceptable education, including:
- not less than 60 US semester credits, or the equivalent as determined by the Department, of preprofessional college/university study, with courses in general chemistry, organic chemistry, biology or zoology, and physics; and
- a professional program in optometry, leading to the degree of Doctor of Optometry (O.D.), or the equivalent as determined by the Department. Such a program must be either registered by the Department as licensure-qualifying or accredited by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE). Foreign and/or non-accredited Doctor of Optometry (O.D.) programs may be acceptable, as determined by a comparative education evaluation conducted by the Department. In determining the substantial equivalence of foreign O.D. programs, the Department also looks for sufficient coverage of specific curricular content.
Before You Begin
Review the requirements, laws, rules, regulations, and the list of additional necessary forms that you will be required to complete for licensure as an Optometrist. Please take a moment to review the list of necessary information you will need to complete the application process. Failure to complete all required parts of the application and submit all required documentation will delay its review.
- Contact Information, including mail & email addresses and phone number(s).
- Your name on your application must match the name on your photo ID.
- Educational history, including degrees, locations, and dates.
- Examination dates for NBEO and NERCOATS.
- Certificate of Completion for Child Abuse Identification Reporting can be uploaded with this application.
- Certificate of Completion for Infection Control and Barrier Precautions can be uploaded with this application.
- Professional licensure, including details about any other professional licenses held.
- Information about any criminal (misdemeanor or felony) or professional disciplinary action. You will have the opportunity to upload relevant documents.
- You are responsible for having all required documentation submitted for review and approval by the Department.
If you require assistance with the online application, submit a ticket to Online Services Technical Assistance.
Receipt for Application
Once NYSED has received this initial application form and payment electronically, you will receive an email indicating that payment has been received. Please retain this email notification as your proof of payment.