An applicant for licensure in Medicine must document fulfillment of the education, examination, and postgraduate hospital training requirements, as outlined here: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/med/medlic.htm. The education requirement includes a minimum of 6 years of postsecondary study culminating in an acceptable medical degree. Additional information can be viewed here: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/med/part60.htm. Not all medical schools are acceptable for NYS licensure. To be acceptable, the Department must determine that your medical school is registered by the NYS Education Department, and/or accredited by the LCME or COCA, or for international medical schools, was recognized by the appropriate government authorities of the country in which it is located, at the time of your graduation. For questions about the education requirement, please contact email@example.com.
NYS has also specific requirements for documentation of clinical clerkships, preprofessional education, and postgraduate training. In addition, applicants must have good moral character, as determined by the Department. By submitting an application for licensure, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the licensure requirements.
You must complete this form and submit it with the appropriate licensure and initial registration fee ($735) directly to the Office of the Professions to apply for licensure in NYS. $735 is the total of the application fee ($135) plus the fee for your first registration period ($600). The application portion of the fee is not refundable. You must answer all questions and provide all information requested unless otherwise indicated. Failure to complete all required parts of the application will delay its review.
Please take a moment to review the list of necessary information you will need to complete the application process.
- Contact Information.
- Education history, including locations and dates for all professional (medical) study as well as preprofessional study.
- Clerkship information for any rotations done outside the country where the medical school is located, including subject areas, locations, and start and end dates for each such rotation.
- Professional experience, including details of any other licenses held.
- Payment information (payment is only accepted by MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).
- To save and return to the application you must have a Social Security Number.
If you require assistance with the online application, please email OPOnlineApplications@nysed.gov.