Continuing Your Application
If you have started an application within the past 30 days, and have not yet completed it, you can use this link to continue your application. You will need your Application ID, Social Security Number, and Date of Birth.
Upload Additional Documentation
If you have already completed an application, but you have additional documents or files to include in your previous submission, use this link to upload additional documentation. You will need your Application ID and Date of Birth.
You must complete this online application and pay the applicable fee to begin the licensure process. The $294 fee includes the application fee ($115) plus the fee for your first three-year registration period ($179). Application fees are not refundable. Payment is only accepted by MasterCard, Visa, or American Express.
Before You Begin
Review the requirements and the list of additional necessary forms that you will be required to complete for licensure as a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW). It is your responsibility to be aware of the requirements for licensure and be sure that you wish to apply. You must also meet requirements for clinical MSW, supervised experience and clinical examination. Please take a moment to review the list of necessary information you will need to complete the application process.
Failure to complete all required parts of the application and submit all required documentation will delay its review.
- Your name in this application must exactly match the name on your photo identification and the name listed on your ASWB Masters examination application.
- Contact Information (mailing & email addresses and phone number(s)).
- Information about any criminal (misdemeanor or felony) or professional disciplinary action. You will have the opportunity to upload relevant documents.
- Undergraduate and graduate college educational history (locations and attendance dates month/year).
- Professional licensure in New York or another jurisdiction (profession, date of licensure and license number).
- If you did not complete the New York Child Abuse Identification and Reporting course work in your MSW program, you must submit a certificate of completion or exemption request.
If you require assistance with the online application, submit a ticket to Online Services Technical Assistance.
Receipt for Application
Once NYSED has received this initial application form and payment electronically, you will receive an email indicating that payment has been received. Please retain this email notification as your proof of payment. You are responsible for requesting your MSW program to verify receipt of the degree on Form 2 (or Form 20). If you wish to practice while taking the examination for licensure, you must also submit the Online Form 5 - Application for Limited Permit and $70 permit fee.