An applicant for licensure as a Pathologists' Assistant must have a bachelor's or higher degree in pathologists' assistant from a program registered by the Department or accredited by an acceptable accrediting body for pathologists' assistants' education programs, or a bachelor's or higher degree program that is substantially equivalent to such a registered program as determined by the department. Currently, the Department only accepts the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) as an acceptable accreditation body for this purpose. You can view the licensure requirements, including education, here: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/patha/pathalic.htm. By submitting an application for licensure, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the licensure requirements.
You must complete this online application and pay the applicable fee to begin the licensure process. The $200 fee includes the application fee ($50) plus the fee for your first three year registration period ($150). The application portion of the fee is not refundable. You must answer all questions and provide all information requested unless otherwise indicated. Failure to complete all required parts of the application will delay its review.
- Educational history, including degrees, locations and dates.
- Obtain a passing score on the pathologists' assistant certification exam of the American Society of Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC).
- Contact Information, including mail & email addresses and phone number(s).
- Information about any criminal (misdemeanor or felony) or professional disciplinary action. You will have the opportunity to upload relevant documents.
- Professional licensure, including details about any other professional licenses held.
- Payment information ($200 payment is only accepted by MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).
- To save and return to the application you must have a Social Security Number.
If you require assistance with the online application, please email OPOnlineApplications@nysed.gov. Application fees are not refundable; it is your responsibility to be aware of the requirements for licensure and be sure that you wish to apply.
This is the application and fee for licensure as a Pathologists' Assistant. You are responsible for having all required documentation submitted for review and approval by the Department.
Once NYSED has received this initial application form and payment electronically, you will receive an email indicating the document and payment have been received. Please retain this email notification as your proof of payment.