Continuing Your Application
Only applicants with Social Security Numbers have the option to save the application progress and complete it within 30 days. If you have a Social Security Number and have started an application within the past 30 days, and have not yet completed it, you can use this link to continue your application. You will need your Application ID, Social Security Number, and Date of Birth. Your Application ID can be found in the email that was sent to you from the Office of the Professions.
Upload Additional Documentation
If you have already completed an application, but you have additional documents or files to include in your previous submission, use this link to upload additional documentation. You will need your Application ID and Date of Birth.
You must complete this online application and pay the applicable fee to begin the licensure process. The $345 fee includes the application fee ($175) plus the fee for your first three-year registration period ($170). Application fees are not refundable. Payment is only accepted by MasterCard, Visa, or American Express.
- Currently certified as a Cytotechnologist by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Certification with the ASCP (CT) or ASCPi (CT) credential.
- Licensed and in good standing in a state or jurisdiction with standards that are acceptable to the Department.(Use Form 3 to document meeting this criteria)Or
- You graduated from a bachelor or master degree cytotechnology program (or a similarly named program) while the program was fully accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) as a cytotechnology program at the time you graduated.
- You graduated from a bachelor or master degree in cytotechnology from: a program registered by the Department as licensure qualifying at the time of graduation
- You graduated from a bachelor or master degree cytotechnology program that is determined by the Department to be the substantial equivalent of a Department-registered program in cytotechnology,
- You completed a bachelor degree program in biology, chemistry, or the physical sciences registered by the Department, or determined by the Department to be the substantial equivalent of such degree program, that meets either criteria (a) or (b) below:
- (a) a credit-bearing advanced certificate program or a hospital-based cytotechnology program that, at the time of completion, was accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) as a cytotechnoolgy program;
- (b) a credit-bearing advanced certificate cytotechnology program that is registered by the Department or determined by the Department to be the substantial equivalent of a registered program.
Before You Begin
Review the requirements and the list of additional necessary forms that you will be required to complete for licensure as a Cytotechnologist. Please take a moment to review the list of necessary information you will need to complete the application process. Failure to complete all required parts of the application and submit all required documentation will delay its review.
- Contact Information (mailing & email addresses and phone number(s)).
- Your name on your application must match the name on your photo ID.
- High school and college educational history (locations and attendance dates).
- Professional licensure in New York or another jurisdiction (profession, date of licensure and license number).
- Information about any criminal (misdemeanor or felony) or professional disciplinary action. You will have the opportunity to upload relevant documents.
- You are responsible for having all other documentation submitted for review and approval by the Department.
If you require assistance with the online application, submit a ticket to Online Services Technical Assistance.
Receipt for Application
Once NYSED has received this initial application form and payment electronically, you will receive an email indicating that payment has been received. Please retain this email notification as your proof of payment.